Thursday, February 28, 2013

Second Chances


Today is the day after a test.  I walk around to hand back tests to the students.  Students, who did well, put a smile on their faces.  Students, who did poorly, sink into their chairs in displeasure.   I come back to the board to review the problems which created the most difficulty.  The students who did well are so excited they don’t want to listen.  The students who did poorly are so upset with themselves they can not concentrate.  So, what am I doing?  I’m pretty much talking to no one.  I’m not helping those students who received a bad grade and the students who were successful are now bored.

After about two and a half years of doing this in my classes, I realized something must change.  Some students were not successful on a test.  The only way they can help their grade is to do better on the next test.  But they need the material from the previous test to help them.  So what service am I providing to my failing students?  How am I motivating them to do better?  I used to say, “You are going to need to learn this to do well on the midterm.  Don’t just put the test away and not look at it.  Study it and learn from it.”  After thinking about how I would take that statement as a student, I realized how little impact it actually has.  Something needed to change in my grading philosophy, and change fast.

Everyone deserves a second chance, right?  You fail your driver’s test; don’t you get a shot at it?  You do poorly on the SAT’s; you can take them again right?  So for a test in class, why are students only getting one chance?  After much questioning, research, and consideration, I decided to implement a re-take policy for my classes. 

After students receive their test and are not happy with the score, they can come to me and inquire about a re-take.  I give the student a contract that lists the steps they must follow in order for the opportunity for a retake.  The contract must be signed by the student and their parent/guardian.  The steps are as follows:
1.      Get the test paper signed by a parent/guardian
2.      Attend extra help session for corrections on the test
3.      Complete given assignment on your own (if necessary)
4.      Make an appointment after/before school to take your re-take
(You can see my full written policy and contract below)

Once students take the re-take, I look at how much knowledge they have gained, and use my professional judgment to assign a new grade.  Students are appreciative of the second chance and are taking full advantage of it. Students are recognizing how much more work they need to put in if they are unsuccessful.  This gives them some motivation to do well the first time.  And it also gives them an opportunity to right the wrong.

What is our goal as educators?  My goal is for every student to have the best opportunity at succeeding in my class.  If my students have only one chance at every test, then they really don’t have the best opportunity at succeeding.  I want my students to learn and one of the best ways to learn is from your mistakes.  I have a little saying I like to use:  “Failure is not an ending, it’s a beginning.”



Mr. Fiscina
Algebra 1
Re-Take Policy

In order for students to have the best opportunity to succeed, students will now have the ability to take a re-take of a test.  The following guidelines will be enforced in order for a student to take a retake.  Any of the guidelines may be adjusted at judgment of Mr. Fiscina. 

  • Student must get test paper signed by parent.
  • Student must attend extra help session (before/after school or during lunch) to fix the mistakes made on the test.
  • Student must complete appropriate assignment (if necessary) given by teacher during extra help session.
  • Students will re-take the test when ready before or after school by appointment only.  If student misses appointment, student’s parent will be notified about it.
  • The re-take and test will both be looked at to see the student’s growth of knowledge and Mr. Fiscina will use his judgment to adjust the grade.

There are no restrictions on the grade you get on the test in order to take a re-take.  All test scores are eligible for a re-take, even A’s.  Students are also allowed to make up as many tests as they feel necessary.  Our goal is to have everyone succeed!     


Mr. Fiscina
Algebra 1
Re-Take Contract

I ____________________________ feel that it is necessary to take a re-take for the test taken on ____________.   I understand that I need to complete the following:
____ Test paper signed by a parent/guardian
____  Attend extra help session on _____
____  Complete any assignment from Mr. Fiscina
____  Make appointment for re-take on _____ 

___________________________
Student Signature

___________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature

   




1 comment:

  1. I read this post over at A Principal's Reflections and left a comment there, but thought I'd comment here as well. I'm a big believer in the "no zero" policy and just wanted to share with you a step I took prior to retakes of tests. Each student was required to complete a "Test Analysis Form". On that form, students reworked the problems they missed and also analyzed WHY they missed it - working too quickly and making calculation errors; misreading the original question; or not understanding the concept. In this way, students also were able to see a pattern in their missed questions and were able to evaluate what they needed to do prior to a retake or even the next test: (Slow down, double-check calculations, attend study sessions, etc...) Students had the forms signed by a parent if they scored below an 80% and made arrangements to retake the test when they turned it in. Sometimes our mistakes give us more opportunities to learn than getting it right the first time!

    ReplyDelete